Winagami Provincial Park was established in 1970 and was named after the Lake. The lake was named Winagami in 1911 which translates as "Stinking Lake" or "Dirty-water" . The water can smell strongly of hydrogen sulphide. In 1950, a dam and canal was built that diverted fresh water from the South Heart River into the lake to solve the stagnant water situation. The lake is the main source of water for Girouxville, McLennan, Falher and Donnelly. The park encompasses over 160 square kilometers or 16,000 hectares of land. The mean depth of the lake is 5.6 feet with a maximum depth of 15 feet.
HISTORY OF WINAGAMI LAKE PROVINCIAL PARK, ALBERTA