Valhalla Centre, Alberta

Located approximately 60 km north-west of Grande Prairie, Alberta is the Hamlet of Valhalla Centre at the crossroads of Highway 59 and 723. 14 km west of La Glace. The population is 45 people (2011 stats) living in 19 dwellings.




Valhalla Sign- more info

Melsness Mercantile - more info

Troll Park - more info

Nordhagen Sign - more info
Valhalla Heritage Society was formed in 1988 to help preserve some of the history of the area. (780) 356-3535.
Valhalla Centre is surrounded by many Gas Plants that employ many in the area. Suncor and AEC West are just a few of the many in the area.


Curling Rink - more info
Skating Rink - more info

Combining Nearby - more info
Roaming Buffalo - more info

HISTORY OF VALHALLA CENTRE, ALBERTA

Valhalla Centre got its name from Reverend Halvar N. Ronning, a Lutheran pastor who founded the settlement where many Scandinavians settled. They came over the Edson Trail in 1912. Valhalla means "home of the gods" in Norwegian. In Norse mythology, Valhalla is the home of Viking heroes after death.



Ronning Log Homestead
The Ronning 2 1/2 storey log homestead, built in 1914 by Halvar and his son Chester Ronning still stands today located about a mile from Valhalla. It has been declared a Provincial Historical Site. The Ronning family played an important role to help settle the area. (Valhalla-Hythe District) Halvar Ronning was the founder of the Norwegian Lutheran community in the Valhalla region while Chester served as a missionary to China, became involved with politics, the air force and participated in the international commissions on Korea, Laos, Hanoi, Saigon and Vietnam. For his accomplishments he was designated an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1967, became a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1972 and inducted in the Alberta Order of Excellence in 1983. (picture submitted)

Fifty miles south of Minneapolis USA, is the First English Lutheran of Faribault, Minnesota. In the basement is a picture of Reverend Halvar Nilson Ronning who served a congregation in that area from 1887 to 1890.

MORE VALHALLA CENTRE HISTORY: The first post office was opened in 1916 in the Valhalla settlement with G.R. Owens the first postmaster. Valhalla Centre was known for the Valhalla Cooperative Creamery. Homesteaders sold their cream to the creamery which made it into butter. The butter was then shipped by train to Edmonton. Because the Creamery did so well it attracted other businesses and the hamlet grew. In 1945 the creamery was sold to the Grande Prairie creamery. From 2006 to 2011 the population of Valhalla Centre has declined by 25%.



Residential Area in Valhalla Centre (pictured above) located on the west part of the Hamlet.

Each year the Canada Day Parade is held at 11am on main street Valhalla Centre. Also there is fun, games and races for everyone as well as hotdog's. This event has been going since the mid 1990's.

EVENTS:
NOW POSTED Events of the Peace Country




Church - more info


Cemetery - more info

Library - more info

School - more info



Old Barn - more info


Old Thresher - more info


Valhalla Co-op - more info

Valhalla Playground - more info
MORE LOCAL VIDEOS Featured on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com CLICK HERE

DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com

Legal Notice - Terms and Conditions: All pictures, images, videos and information on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com are protected by copyright which means it is unlawful to reproduce any picture, image or information in whole or part on any other media (that includes websites, facebook, twitter etc) without a licensing agreement. By using a copyright image without a licensing agreement, you agree to pay DiscoverThePeaceCountry.Ltd $10,000 per photo for the usage. © Copyright 2003-2019. Contact: info@discoverthepeacecountry.com