HISTORY OF SEXSMITH, ALBERTA
An Ontario-born surveyor by the name of Walter McFarlane, who was contracted by the government in 1909, mapped out much of the Sexsmith area. At that time, the area was occupied by mostly Metis who traded their furs at the trading post at Lake Saskatoon, an area to the west. The Town was originally named "Bennville" after the early 1911 settler JB "Benny" Foster who had owned the homestead where the townsite was established. It was discovered another community had that name so it was renamed Sexsmith, named after David Sexsmith, one of the first trappers of the area. The railway finally came in 1916 which resulted in more settlers coming to the area. 200 people lived here in 1929 when it was incorporated as a village. In the 1930's, Sexsmith had 8 grain elevators and was known as "The grain capital of the British Empire". Sexsmith reached town status in 1979.
In 1955, gas, water and sewer services were introduced to the community. Sexsmith's population reached 1000 in the late 1970's and was incorporated as a town.
Home to the Peace River Bible Institute. 9601-100 Street. (780) 568-3962. Began operation in 1933. It originally started in Berwyn, Alberta some 147 km to the north of Sexsmith. Then it moved to Grande Prairie and finally to its present location in Sexsmith. Current enrollment is approximately 262 students.
A new firehall has been constructed at 95 Avenue and 97 Street, Sexsmith. It opened in the summer of 2017 . Photo of NEW Fire Hall Enlarge photo
The old Firehall was located on the corner of 100 Avenue and 99 Street for years. Archived photo of OLD Fire Hall Enlarge Photo