HISTORY OF QUEEN ELIZABETH PROVINCIAL PARK, ALBERTA - LAC CARDINAL LAKE
In 1912, Bear Lake was re-named Lac Cardinal after a local homesteader, Louis Cardinal. A post office opened in the area in 1923 with the first postmaster R. Cadmus. The park became known as Lac Cardinal Provincial Park in 1956. Later when Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip of England visited the area in 1978, the park name was changed to Queen Elizabeth Provincial Park to honor the Queen. The park is located along the southeast shore of Lac Cardinal Lake.
Over 160 species of birds take sanctuary at Lac Cardinal and the park is a protective habitant for song birds and waterfowl. Some of the species include the the Common Coot which to most looks like a duck but has a blue bill along with rusty feathers. Red Wind Blackbirds, Robins, Great Blue Heron, Northern Oriole, Ruffed Grouse, Snipe, Yellowlegs plus many others birds are common on or near Lac Cardinal Lake. The hiking trails lead to a bird viewing platform.