HISTORY OF NOTIKEWIN PROVINCIAL PARK, ALBERTA
Notikewin Provincial Park was created in 1979 and named for the nearby town and river. The name Notikewin was derived from the Cree word for battle. The river was the scene for many battles between the Beaver tribe and the invading Cree during the 1700's. In 1866 the Hudson's Bay Company established a trading post upstream from the mouth of the Notikewin River. The Battle River House was located east of the mouth of the Notikewin River and was in operation for almost 30 years. Over the years, flooding in the area washed away most of the evidence of that post. An old trapper's cabin built in the 1920's still stands, located south of the day use area.
Local area residents wanted to preserve this area - Hawk Hills Agricultural Society and the Manning Fish and Game Association and helped in creating the park.