La Glace, Alberta

Located just 30 km west of Sexsmith, Alberta, is the Hamlet of La Glace. Highway 59 goes right through the community as it intersects with Highway 724. La Glace has a population of 181 (2011 stats) living in 73 dwellings. PHOTO: The main street of LaGlace. Facing west, on the left corner is the Co-op, Post Office and VISION Credit Union and on the right is the Country Cabin Cafe.




La Glace Sign - more info

La Glace Cairn - more info

La Glace Street - more info

Campground - more info
LaGlace won the Big Valley Jamboree's Small Town Contest in March 2017 that saw 10 communities competing. The money collected through the Jamboree's ticket sales could be up to $75,000 and will go to the LaGlace and District Agricultural Society which is planning on building a new Rec Centre. The $4.5 million Rec Centre will have a rink, gym, walking track, hall and a community centre.

Rec Centre - more info
Curling Club - more info

Library - more info
Co-op - more info


La Glace HISTORY:

One of the early settlers homesteaded in the Valhalla Centre area just a short distance west of LaGlace. The Ronning 2 1/2 story log homestead, built in 1914 by Halvar and his son Chester Ronning still stands today. The Ronning family played an important role to help settle the area. (Valhalla-Hythe District) Halvar Ronning was the founder of the Norwegian Lutheran community in the Valhalla region while Chester served as a missionary to China, became involved with politics, the air force and participated in the international commissions on Korea, Laos, Hanoi, Saigon and Vietnam. For his accomplishments he was designated an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1967, became a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1972 and inducted in the Alberta Order of Excellence in 1983. The first school that served the area was built in 1921. In 1938 the first high school was built in La Glace.

During the early 1800's the Peace Country was occupied by roving bands of Beaver Indians who traded for goods at Dunvegan. One of their leaders was known as "La Glace", which is French for "Ice". His descendants came to live in this area. Charles La Glace accepted the terms of Treaty #8 at Dunvegan in 1900. This confirmed that the entire area could be opened for homestead. In 1909, at the age of 62, Charles La Glace drowned in the lake about 3 km west of here known at that time as Rat Lake. It later became known as La Glace Lake. In July of 1909 this township was surveyed and made available for homestead. A store and post office were opened at the North end of the lake in 1917 and were eventually relocated to the present townsite around 1930. (information posted on Cairn) It was around this store that the community of La Glace evolved. A cairn commemorates the individuals who first settled in this area during the period 1910-1930. (Cairn is Located east of the Co-op)



La Glace Residential Area


Changes in La Glace have also included a number of newer homes on the south part of the Hamlet.


The Annual Cultural Festival includes the LaGlace Folk Festival held each year as well as Go & Show Days.

NOW POSTED Events of the Peace Country



Hamlet of La Glace Website

Horizon Credit Union - more info


Firehall - more info

Twilight Centre - more info

Seniors Home - more info


Farmer working - more info


Old Barn - more info


Churches - more info

School (Old & New) - more info
MORE LOCAL VIDEOS Featured on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com CLICK HERE

DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com

Legal Notice - Terms and Conditions: All pictures, images, videos and information on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com are protected by copyright which means it is unlawful to reproduce any picture, image or information in whole or part on any other media (that includes websites, facebook, twitter etc) without a licensing agreement. By using a copyright image without a licensing agreement, you agree to pay DiscoverThePeaceCountry.Ltd $10,000 per photo for the usage. © Copyright 2003-2019. Contact: info@discoverthepeacecountry.com