Originally the community was known as Fowler, a name given by the railway when it first opened a train station at the settlement. The name was changed in 1915 after one of the first settlers "Giroux". The First post office opened in 1917. The Cree Indian lived in the area and had called it "umstosee owuskee" meaning "Frenchman's Land". In 1941 a Credit Union was incorporated followed by a Co-op store. In 1951 Girouxville was incorporated as a village.
HISTORY OF GIROUXVILLE, ALBERTA