Elmworth, Alberta

Located approximately 50 km west-southwest of Grande Prairie, Alberta is the Hamlet of Elmworth. Travel south of Beaverlodge on Highway 722 and then west on Highway 667. At the peak there were 30-35 living in Elmworth. There are now about 9 people living within the hamlet. (2007)




School - more info

Curling Rink - more info

Church - more info

Store - more info
Welcome to the Hamlet of Elmworth, Alberta. Located in the County of Grande Prairie. The Elmworth Gas Plant , is located only a few km from the Hamlet of Elmworth. (west and then south). Burlington Resources Gas Plant became Canadian Hunter and then Conoco Phillips.This Gas Plant began operation in November 1979 and employs approximately 25 people directly and numerous indirectly. The Elmworth Gas Plant is a sweet gas processing facility. Northstone Power Corp has operated the Elmworth Power Generating Station located next to the Elmworth Gas Plant.


Red Willow Park - more info
Park Campsite - more info

Park Shelter - more info

Hinton Trail Hall - more info


RIO GRANDE RODEO - ELMWORTH, ALBERTA

The Rio Grande Rodeo is an annual event that draws crowds near and far. The Grounds are located only a short distance from Elmworth. (5 km west and then 2.5 km north on range road 121.) The Rodeo is held each year in July during the Canada Day Weekend. As part of the event is the professional chuckwagon races, pony chucks and chariot races, slow pitch tournament, beer gardens and outdoor dance. It easily attracts 1500 to 2000 spectators each year. In 2016 the Rio Grande Rodeo was 100 years old.

It was a tradition for many years that farmers in the area gathered along the banks of the Red Willow to celebrate Farmers Day. Everyone enjoyed a picnic, the booths, horseshoe competitions, ball games and many races for the kids. As the farming population decreased, this annual event finally ended in the 1980's. The park was eventually taken over by the County of Grande Prairie.

ELMWORTH HISTORY


Many small communities started up throughout the Peace Country, as the settlers homesteaded to make their living. Elmworth was no different, as it was a central area where one would get supplies and the mail. The first post office opened in 1920 with Franklin T. Brewer the first postmaster. It was situated on his own homestead about a quarter mile from Elmworth. In the early 1940's the post office was moved into Elmworth not too far from where the present Elmworth Store is located. The closest railway was Beaverlodge.

The name of the community "Elmworth", got its name from a settlement in Massachusetts, United States of America. At one time a teacherage was located on the area where the present school is located. At that time there were 3 other houses located at that location that housed the teacher, the principal plus the janitor who also was the bus driver.


Elmworth Community Library is located in ther Elmworth School and was created in 1999. View Photo

NOW POSTED Events of the Peace Country
MORE LOCAL VIDEOS Featured on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com CLICK HERE

DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com

Legal Notice - Terms and Conditions: All pictures, images, videos and information on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com are protected by copyright which means it is unlawful to reproduce any picture, image or information in whole or part on any other media (that includes websites, facebook, twitter etc) without a licensing agreement. By using a copyright image without a licensing agreement, you agree to pay DiscoverThePeaceCountry.Ltd $10,000 per photo for the usage. © Copyright 2003-2019. Contact: info@discoverthepeacecountry.com