Woking was established as a station for the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway. The station was named by J.B. Prest, an engineer for the railway who also named other stations in the area like Prestville, (east of Rycroft) and Wanham. J.B. Prest came from Woking in Surrey, near London and "Woking" means an area of the family or followers of a man called Wocca. The first post office in this community opened in 1932.
HISTORY OF WOKING, ALBERTA