Alexander Mackenzie travelled through this area in 1793 in search of the Northwest Passage. Taylor was named after Herbie Taylor, who settled in this area in 1912. He was a fur trader, trapper, farmer and ferryman. Herbie was the first to put up a sign "Taylor Flats", as that area was known as Taylor Flats for years. In 1923, the post office was opened at Taylor's farm and the community was officially named Taylor. In 1957 Canada's 1st natural gas pipeline was constructed from Taylor to the United States border. (Westcoast Transmissions Gas Line) In 1958 Taylor was incorporated as a Village.