Rycroft Nunnery Mission was demolished November 2024. It was located at 4524-50 Street Rycroft and had historical significance as it was home to a number of Sisters who taught at the Rycroft Elementary and High Schools. Sister M. Barton was a teacher there up until the High School closed in 1970.
HOW IT BEGAN: In 1944 the Sisters opened a residence in Rycroft for out-of-town students named St. Michael’s Dormitory that provided room and board for at least 20 high school students (At that time many students walked 4 or miles to get to the nearest rural schools, and another 4 miles back home. Those schools only went up to grade eight and to have more education, you had to travel even more miles to Rycroft or pay $10 a month stay in the Dormitory, which most could not afford.) The Sisters served meals and prepared students for the sacraments from 1944 to 1955 until school bus service was now available. The Dormitory closed but continued to be the residence for the Sisters. There were a total of 32 Sisters that lived there over the years. Six taught elementary and another six taught junior high and four senior high school. Sister Madge Barton and Sister Alice Walsh were the last teachers at the Rycroft Public School. The mission closed in June 1972.
DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com |
|