DUNVEGAN - History, Camping. Sites to see - Dunvegan Bridge, Mission Church, The Maples, Market Gardens.
. .
DUNVEGAN, ALBERTA - GOOGLE MAP

DUNVEGAN
PROVINCIAL PARK
ALBERTA, CANADA


For Park and Campground Information, call (780) 538-5350. Reserve up to 90 days in advance 1-877-537-2757.
2014 campground fees:
Power $30. Rates subject to change.
Now you can book on-line at Reserve.AlbertaParks.ca

NEW FEATURE:
CAMPGROUND REPORT
(Active May-Sept)



DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com

Campground Map - Click Enlarge

NEW FEATURE
DUAL CAM VIDEOS
Loop 1- 1-33 - coming soon
Loop 2- 34-67- coming soon
Day-Use-Historic View Video>
Maples-Historic- View Video>
Crossing Bridge- View Video>


(enlarge picture)
The Dunvegan Provincial Park has sixty seven campsites all with electrical hook-ups. Firewood included in the camping fee. Large day use and picnic area that includes a shelter, firepits, and playground. Open May 18 - Oct 11.


(enlarge picture)
The Maples day-use and picnic area is 1/2 km west of the bridge along the banks of the Peace River. Located north are trails as well as a playground.


(enlarge picture)
These Manitoba Maples mark the site of St. Saviors Mission to the Beaver Indians established in 1879.


(enlarge picture)
The Market Gardens situated in the deep valley on the east side of the park, attracts many visitors. Many fresh vegetables are still grown as they were a hundred years ago like strawberries, cucumbers, corn and numerous other fruits and vegetables.


(enlarge picture)
Next to the Market Gardens is the Dunvegan General Store where you can buy a souvenir or an icecream cone.


(enlarge picture)
Many events are held each year at Dunvegan. Many times the event is accompanied by the RCMP.

NOW POSTED
Events of the Peace Country


Grande Prairie RV Dealers: Vist their website
Happy Trails RV, Windsor Motorsports, McGoverns RV, Stojan's Power Sports, Northgate Honda, Redline Powercraft, GPR Industries

*AUTOS *FARMS & ACREAGES *RENOVATIONS *FLYERS * BUSINESS DIRECTORY *EVENTS *NPHL * VIDEOS *HOME


DUNVEGAN PROVINCIAL PARK

Located on the banks of the Mighty Peace River just off Highway 2, 90 km north of Grande Prairie, Alberta or 26 km south of Fairview, it will be a very memorable place to visit either just for the day, or stay overnight.

MORE PHOTOS: Click on the mini-pictures above to enlarge photo.
Mission Church, Maples Day-use, Bridge and River, Tree Planted 1911, TeePee, Restored Building, Driving on Bridge.

The site of one of Alberta's earliest fur trade posts and missionary centres dating back to 1805. The Beaver Indians were some of the earliest inhabitants of the area with the first European explorers passing through in the 1700's. In 1805, Archibald Norman Macleod established a trading post naming it Fort Dunvegan, after his family's ancestral castle in Scotland. Dunvegan became a Hudson Bay Company post and operated until 1918. The Factor's House and the St. Charles Rectory and Church (1867) are the only two buildings remaining from that time.

The Manitoba Maple is found near the Factor's House which may have been planted by James McDougal in 1883. He was the Chief factor of the Hudson's Bay Company. The Manitoba Maple originated in southern Manitoba, and the sap was used to make syrup and sugar. The bark and leaves were believed to have medical benefits.

A ferry was used to cross the Peace River at Dunvegan as early as 1909 and ended ended in 1960 when the longest spanning bridge in Alberta was built. Looking up at the banks, makes you feel you are surrounded by mountains. It is home to a wide variety of prairie wild flowers, birds and butterflies.

When the Dunvegan Ferry was no longer required because of the new Dunvegan Bridge, that ferry was moved to Tompkins Landing near La Crete and was in operation from 1961 to 1987 when it was replaced with the current Tomkins Ferry. The old ferry was restored and is now actually displayed at the La Crete Mennonite Hertage Village 3km southwest of La Crete.

DUNVEGAN BRIDGE 50th ANNIVERSARY
August 2010- Many people gathered Saturday (August 28, 2010) at Dunvegan for the 50th Anniversary of the Bridge Opening. It was a fun filled day which included many speeches from dignitaries and guests including Cannon RSH Greene who also spoke at the bridge opening in 1960. History of the Bridge. Play VIDEO> 18:30min.
La Crete Ferry - Dunvegan-Thompkins Ferry VIDEO
69 km west of the Town of La Crete is the La Crete Ferry. Also featured in this video is the Dunvegan-Thompkins Ferry that was used previous to the La Crete Ferry. Before 1960 it was used at Dunvegen and after 1961 it was used at the Thompkins Landing where the La Crete Ferry is now used.

View VIDEO> (2:58min)
The Peace River flows from the mountains of British Columbia through this valley all the way to the Arctic Ocean. The Peace River got its name because it was along these banks the peace was finally settled between the Cree and Beaver Indians. Dinosaur footprints were discovered on the south bank of the valley. A cast was made of the 4 toed prehistoric creature and can be seen at the Interpretive Centre and Tourist Centre.
OUR LADY OF PEACE
Our Lady of Peace Statue erected by the Knights of Columbus is located only a short distance from the St Charles Mission Church and was overlooking the Peace River since 1985. It is a statue of the blessed Virgin Mary. (Summer of 2007, the statue received a full restoration and moved to a slightly different location)
(enlarge picture)

The Hudson's Bay Company Factor's House built in 1879 still stands today. Just a short distance to the west of the bridge along the banks of the Peace River.
(enlarge picture)
Located at the Maples is the gravesite of Caroline, who died April 20, 1888. She is the daughter of Alfred and Agnes Garrioch. The seeds planted by Reverend A. Garrioch flourished and gave this place its name: the Maples. (enlarge picture)
Factor's House in the Winter
(enlarge picture)
Bridge in wintertime with ice build-up
(enlarge picture)

 


(enlarge picture)
ST. CHARLES MISSION CHURCH
In 1867, a Roman Catholic Order, established the St. Charles Mission near Fort Dunvegan. Next to it is the Rectory which was constructed in 1889 and still stands today.


(enlarge picture)
Father Emile Grouard originally decorated the altar area with his own paintings.


(enlarge picture)
Collectibles of those early years displayed.


(enlarge picture)
Tours are offered. Hours of Operation May-Sept. 10am to 6pm Monday to Sundy.








(enlarge picture)
1908 Revillon Freres Trading Store returns to its original location at Dunvegan. Was moved by P.J. Foster, the last Dunvegan Ferry Operator to the Larsen Farm in the 1930's. (2010 undergoing restoration)



Waiting for the Ferry at Dunvegan in the summer of 1958.
Who is the boy? (enlarge picture - more information)




DUNVEGAN

ABOUT THIS SITE, COMMENTS, FAQ.S / EXTERNAL LINKS
Legal: All pictures, images, videos and information on DiscoverThePeaceCountry.com are protected by copyright which means it is unlawful to reproduce any picture, image or information in whole or part without written permission. For those who wish to use a picture/image from this website on another website can do so by signing a licensing-use agreement contract for a minimum cost of $10,000 per picture. Using pictures for any amount of time without the licensing agreement will result in legal action taken to recover the costs of $10,000 per picture.
© Copyright 2003-2014. Contact: discoverthepeacecountry@albertanet.ca