Chetywnd was first known as Little Prairie when the first settlers arrived in the early 1900's. Indians who travelled from Moberly Lake to hunt in the Sukunka Valley called it "Little Prairie". It was later changed to "Chetwynd" named after one of the early settlers, Ralph Chetwynd, around the same time the Pacific Great East Railway first came to the community. Ralph Chetwynd was a Provincial Highways Minister. In 1952, the first Highway was built between Prince George and Dawson Creek. Chetwynd was incorporated as a Village in 1962. In 1983 the municipality was reincorporated as a District Municipality.
HISTORY OF CHETWYND, BC